Friday, October 23, 2009

Convient Christianity

Would you ever expect someone to admit that they are only a "convenient Christian?" I sure wouldn't have, yet this past Wensday that's exactly what happened. A young man working a bank, when I asked what he believed, replied, "well, I guess I'd call myself a convient Christian, I grew up Lutheran, but I don't go to church much anymore. But I try to lead a good life." I responded by explaining the hopelessness of those outside Christ, and how he could never be a good enough person to merit heaven.

I explained how even lust and anger, are equal in the eyes of God to adultery and murder, by which he was surprised. I gave him the hope of Christianity, how it gives purpose, meaning, and philosophical foundation to stand on. He responded by pointing out that he was baptized. I told him, "the Bible say baptism is not enough." I then encouraged him to start reading the Bible, and told him I'd be praying for him.

By this you can see how twisted people's concepts of Christianity must be. "Christian" to this man is merely a title to keep him out of hell. So long as he said "Yeah, I'm a Christian," he feels safe. It's like he wrote his own ticket to heaven and bought it with all his "good" works. In reality, despite claiming the name of Christ, he has rejected him. In fact he has taken God's name in vain. He is committing blasphemy and bringing shame to Jesus' name, for every unbeliever that sees this man, will feel justified in their own "goodness." And as long as there are "convient Christians" like him, unbelievers will see the title of "Christian," as a title of hypocrisy and superstition. May God have mercy on his soul for the sake of Christ.

No comments: